There’s a bumper crop of stuff I can’t wait to listen to today! Hooray! But, before I get into today’s music, it’s time to talk about work for just a sec. For the past several months, we’ve been working on a new product, and I’m really proud of it. It’s a new way to do web radio and it’s coming out later this summer. If you’re interested, and you should be, you can sign up for a beta invite and be one of the first people to experience it. I can’t wait to show it to you!
Now, on to the music! And just like last week, I haven’t actually listened to these yet. I’ll try to come back and update things, but I’m pretty confident in today’s list.
- The Burning Hell – Flux Capacitor – These guys are goofy and create some silly music, but it’s so damned good, I can’t help but dance along.
- The Antlers – Burst Apart – Their first album, Hospice was heartbreaking and beautiful. I don’t know what to expect from this one, but I can’t wait to find out.
- Sloan – The Double Cross – These guys are giants of Canadian indie rock and for good reason. They consistently produce tight killer rock songs.
- Pearl and the Beard – Pearl and the Beard – I first heard them on nyctaper and quickly went and hunted down everything I could. I have high hopes for this one.
- Black Moth Super Rainbow – Extra Flavor – I have a feeling this is mostly outtakes from their last album, but their last album was good enough that these should be pretty darn good.
- Cornershop – Supercomputed – And you thought they only did Brimful of Asha. Their recent albums have been solid, and I didn’t even know this one was coming out. Happy surprise!
There you go. If I find anything else, I’ll add it to the list. What are you listening to this week?
I haven’t listened to any of these yet, but here’s the list of albums I gleaned from today’s new releases on Rdio. I’ll try to come back and update them once I’ve actually listened to them, but I’m a busy guy, so I’ll probably forget. Here’s the queue as it stands right now:
- Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues – This one’s also available for $3.99 on Amazon today so I already bought it. These guys are unapologetically old school folk and awesome.
- Beastie Boys – Hot Sauce Committee Part Two
- Moment Bends – Architecture in Helsinki – I have no idea if this is going to be any good as I only vaguely recognize the name of the band, but hey, why not.
- Portugal The Man – Devil Say I, I Say AIR EP – I keep hearing about them in the same company with bands I like, so I’m checking out the new stuff.
- Gingerpig – The Ways of the Gingerpig – I just like the name “Gingerpig”
- Country Mice – Twister – I think this band released a two song single about a month ago and I loved it. I’m hoping this is the full album.
- Plain White T’s – All That We Needed – A band I feel like I should know but don’t.
- Galactic – The Other Side of Midnight, Live in New Orleans – You’ve seen them on Treme, you may have even heard their awesome live show with Corey Glover from nyctaper, hell, you may have even heard an album of theirs. Listen to them and you will be happy, dammit!
- Update: This is the first thing I listened to this morning and it’s audible caffeine. So so awesome.
- Antony and the Johnsons – Swanlights EP – I love this guy’s songwriting, but I don’t often actually like the songs, which sucks. It’s a band I respect more than I like, but I keep sampling every new album hoping it’s the one that makes it all click.
There are some other things in the queue, but I have to go hop in the shower and get to work. I’ll try to hop back in and add other new stuff I find worth listening to and update the guesses with the results. Happy new music tuesday!
What else should I be listening to?