This is odd because I’ve never stayed for the Music portion of SxSW, but every year for the past five or six, I’ve downloaded the massive torrent of free songs from the artists playing SxSW and tried to listen and rate all of them. To give you some idea of the scale, the 2011 torrent had over 1000 songs in it, released in two parts. That’s a lot of music to listen to, and I usually forget to post my top-rated stuff here, but I think I’ve actually listened to everything for at least the last three years (even when I haven’t gone to SxSW).
I’ve figured out a workflow for getting through and rating everything using iTunes’ Smart Playlists that I figure might help you if you want to do the same thing:
- Download the torrent and then put all the songs in a single regular playlist.
- Create a new Smart Playlist for the songs you haven’t listened to and haven’t skipped. It took a little while to get this set up correctly, but it should be something like this (and then sorted by artist):
- Playlist – is – Your SxSW Torrent playlist (mine’s called SxSW 2012)
- Plays – is less than – 1
- Skips – is less than – 1
- Rating – is not – 1 star
- Rating – is not – 2 stars
- Create another Smart Playlist for things you’ve listened to but haven’t rated:
- Playlist – is – SxSW 2012
- Rating – is – no stars
- Plays – is greater than – 0 (this removes any that you skipped, which you can assume you want to leave 0 stars)
- I also created one like the unrated, but where the Rating is greater than 3 to find my favorites.
What’s great about the unlistened Smart Playlist is that if I give something a rating of 1 or 2 stars, it automatically skips it and goes on to the next song.
Hopefully this helps you better manage your SxSW torrent listening experience! I’ll try to remember to come back and share my favorites. I’m halfway through the B’s as I write this. Only 686 songs to go (and this is just the “Part 1″ torrent)!
Oh, and if you don’t want to bother with any of that, I made an Rdio playlist with the songs Rdio has out of the list (about 380 out of the 771 songs in Part 1).