People at work give me a hard time about the number of computers I have under my desk. Honestly, I think they’re just jealous. Here’s the rundown:
- Dell Precision P3-733 running Windows XP – the former home of most of my work computing. No longer, since I switched to…
- Apple TiBook – G4-550 – it’s not as fast or as beefy as I’d like, but I do like taking my work home with me (Jen doesn’t).
- Apple Quicksilver – G4-867 – It’s fast, but I’ve got everything installed on the TiBook. I’m thinking of coming up with a neat-o rcp syncer so I can work on this beast and still take everything home… BUT, I have the TiBook hooked up to an external monitor and I’m really loving the wrap-around workspace.
- Dell Precision – Dual Xeon 1.7ghz running RedHat 8 (soon to be 9, hopefully) – This is the uberbox. I love it. It hosts my big intranetEmpire and runs some really funny daily reports. It has two giganimous hard drives and fuels my evil plans.
- Sun Ultra 10 – 400 – Bleagh. It’s not even turned on, but it’s still here under my desk. It used to be the bane of my existence until the day I was able to turn it off. Sweet monitor came with it though…
That’s not too many, really! I use all of them on a daily basis to get my work done (well, the Quicksilver may be overkill, but it has my 8.7 days worth of music on it – that I own… really, I do. I swear). The XP box may get demoted to 2000, because XP makes my buttcheeks clench. XP is evil.
I have no idea where this is going… only that I need more computers. I want a crash PC that I can reformat whenever I want and install goofy stuff on it. It has nothing to do with my job, so it’ll never happen – but it would be fun. When I was on the phones, I had what we called “The Crash Mac”. It was a beige G3 that I installed every flavor of Linux available for the Mac (all of two, LinuxPPC and YellowDog) on and learned all kinds of wicked things you can’t do to Macs on it. It was fun, and a great learning tool. I think everyone should have at least one crash machine. I may go out to Wal-Mart and buy a \$200 crap PC right now just so I have one. Yeah… just try and stop me.