I think I need to start a new playlist for songs that make you feel like you’ve just snorted two eucalyptus cough drops. You know the ones… make you wake up, no matter what state you’re in. They make you tap your foot, bounce your head (either up and down or side to side), and feel that rush of blood through your body. You’re alive as soon as that song starts, and awake until the final power chord.\
My latest addition to that list is Saturday Morning from Eel’s Shootenanny!:
Who’s going to play with me?\
Six in the morning, baby.\
I got a long day ahead o’ me\
Nothing’s ever going to happen ’round here,\
unless we make it happen.\
Sleep away the day if you want to,\
But I got something I gotta do.
You will get up and shake it, whether you got it or not. To round out this particular list:
- Uh, Zoom Zip – Soul Coughing
- I See You Baby – Groove Armada (Fatboy Slim Mix) – There are a whole bunch of Groove Armada or Fatboy songs I could put in this list, but I won’t.
- Back in Black – Living Colour’s cover of the classic.
- Breathe (like an Aphex Twin) – The remix of Prodigy’s techno heinie-shaker, without the slightly annoying lyrics
- That Song from Kill Bill – You know the one, where Ren is walking down the hall with her posse. It’s too darn short, but boy, it’ll wake the dead.
- Super Bon Bon – Soul Coughing (again)
- Shake Your Coconuts – Junior Senior – I could have put Move Your Feet in here, but this song cracks me up every time I hear it (and I go into conniptions when Max sings along).
- No Sleep Till Brooklyn – Beastie Boys – Another conniption song. When Max was learning how to talk, he’d sing along with the chorus. There’s nothing funnier than a two year-old, at top volume, from the backseat: “NO SWEEP TILL BWOOKWYN!!!!”
- Rome Wasn’t Built in a Day – Morcheeba – Starts a little slow, but the porn-bass is really really catchy.
- Rockin’ the Suburbs – Ben Folds – Come on, how can you not hop up and shake your pale ass to this one? Another great conniption song. Max knows this whole album… “WOCKIN’ DA SUBURBS!!!”\
Ok, enough of this fun. You can get all of these songs from from the Apple Music store if you’re too lazy to look ’em up. Really, you can.
I have a “Rockin” playlist on my iPod that is mainly geared on raging electric guitar, but sometimes it’s just the FUNK that lands a song in the list. A sampling:
Are You Gonna Be My Girl? – JET – trendy, but oh that riff!
Coconuts – Widespread Panic
Carini, First Tube, and I Saw It Again – Phish – Imagine a two year old screaming – “Carini had a wumpy head!” over and over
Shake Your Rump – Beasties
One More Saturday Night – Grateful Dead
Interstate Love Song – STP
Choctaw Hayride – Alison Krauss & Union Station
Soul Flower (Remix) – The Pharcyde
Boogie On Reggae Woman – Stevie Wonder (or any of Phish’s versions as well)
Oooh, those are good. *Free*, *Birds of a Feather*, and *Back on the Train* are some of my other favorite Phish butt shakers… not so much teeth-gritting-riff-heavy stuff, but still make me move.
Comments are closed.