I’m in Austin for SxSW Interactive 2008. I’ve been really busy with preparing for panels, worrying about panels, worrying about the web awards, dying my hair blue, etc. Here are some of the highlights of the week:
- Career Transitions: From DIY to Working for the Man: I moderated a panel about the pros and cons of working for large corporations, startups, the government, freelancing and academia. The panelists were awesome: Jason Garber, Leslie Jensen-Inman, Cindy Li and Thomas Vander Wal. I think the panel went pretty well, and hopefully helped some people out.
- Ficlets won a SxSW Web Award!!!! – I couldn’t be prouder. I posted about it over on the ficlets blog (it has my acceptance speech too). Jason deserves most of the credit, but I’m keeping the trophy. Mr. Scalzi just blogged about it too.
- I dyed my hair blue for The International Day of Awesomeness. I’ve always wanted to, but never had the guts. Since the holiday is all about performing and celebrating feats of awesomness, I knew I had to do it. So, I spent Monday morning dying my hair and ruining hotel towels.
- I got interviewed by New Riders (my publisher). It’s in the Voices That Matter podcast on iTunes, and they said it should be on YouTube some time today. And, here it is!
- I got interviewed by the AOL Developer Network about ficlets and SxSW. No idea when that’ll go up.
- I got to hang out with my friends at great events like Fray Cafe and 20×2.\
I’m headed to California bright and early tomorrow morning and could really use a nap.
Congrats on the award!!!! And from the video, you didn’t seem nervous…and it didn’t seem long (no exit music in the background even like the academy awards).
And, I love the blue hair. My daughter’s taken to doing a blue streak in her hair. I’ll have to show her your picture. Maybe it will win me brownie points 🙂
That’s very, very blue. Impressive depth and tone of color. Consider me green with envy, but still sporting a very dull, natural hair color. Stupid mandatory conformity.
I LOVE the blue hair. It really is becoming. I bet Jen is glad that you did it at a hotel!
Congratulations, Kevin! That is truly teh awesome. And, strangely, blue hair really works well for you.
Kevin, bummer we didn’t get a chance to chat at SXSW but… total congrats on Ficlets’s Web award. I was there cheering you guys on.
Also… your panel was fantastic. You’re a great public speaker. You have a good stage presence.
Sorry I didn’t get a chance to say a long solid hi. Thanks for coming to the show and hope to get to talk to you last year. you’ve always been a big supporter and we appreciate you.
Dig the hair.
I meant to congratulate you on Ficlets (Congrats!!) and now I see the real congrats are for the brand new lawver. Enoy!
Comments are closed.